Belgian Factories of the Future since 2015
Breakthroughs achieved through the Made Different program
Made Different is a Belgian transformation program, initiated by Agoria and Sirris. Through 7 clearly focused transformations (world class production equipment, end-to-end engineering, digital production, human centered production, networked production, eco-production and smart production systems) around 20 FTE’s are assisting more than 275 Belgian manufacturing companies across these 7 transformations, ultimately leading to the status of Factory of the Future.
Until now, 16 Belgian companies have been awarded the Factory of the Future label. Together they invested the last 5 years more than 475M Euro within their respective factories. Through a strategic focus on investments in smart automation, digitisation and robotisation, these Factories of the Future improved their competitiveness significantly resulting in more business and an increase in employees of 11%. As a reference, the average employee evolution in Belgian’s technology sector over the last 5 years was -5%!
All Award-winners have one common message : do consider the ‘Human Centered Production’ transformation as a crucial condition to perform timely implementation of smart breakthroughs within the other 6 Made Different transformations. Self-steering cells of autonomous teams, strongly supported by flexible, custom-made ICT-solutions, organize the incoming production orders themselves, take responsibility for manpower training & skill development as well as Kaizen and 5S, thereby needing only a very limited amount of specific attention from a supervisor or manager. Connected to this, transparent communication belongs to every winner’s DNA!
A flavour of the breakthrough results achieved by the Factories of the Future :
- AW Europe : 7 transformations as a catalyst for innovation A philosophy whereby in which people play a central role and circumstances are created for staff to function optimally within an organisation, thus producing the best possible quality. This is the mission AW Europe would like to realise. Add customer satisfaction and respect for the environment and you have the ideal Factory of the Future ... Read more
- Bio De Trog Bio-bakery De Trog, an industrial craftmanships-bakery doubled its turnover and number of employees (110 people at the moment) during the last 5 years. Every day more than 100 types of basic, locally sourced flower ingredients are being used through smart automation, delivering more than 300 different customer product types every without jeopardizing the quality and ... Read more
- BMT Aerospace’s business takes off Airbus, Embraer, Sikorsky, Sukhoi, Boeing, … These are all big names that will appeal to the imaginations of those who love aviation. But did you know that all these large companies share a Belgian supplier in common? Its name is BMT Aerospace. The emphasis it places on digitalisation, extreme precision and development of highly specific ... Read more
- Borit Watch video Read more
- Colruyt : Automation focused on staff Just like many other companies, the Colruyt Group has invested time and money in the automation and digitisation of their production facilities. The major difference between the Colruyt Group and other companies is that their staff are the central element of each and every innovation. Their staff were actively involved in the refurbishment of the Colruyt ... Read more
- Continental Continental develops and produces in Belgium electronic brake system components for cars. As from 2013 the factory in Belgium is the only location within the global Continental group to produce the newest MK100 ESC 6 PP system, combining state-of-the-art active security systems with a high comfort level for the driver. The competitive cost advantage of the factory ... Read more
- Daikin Daikin Oostende – a developer and producer of heating solutions – has put a comprehensive Factory Reform Plan in place to turn its production into a real “3S Factory” (Simple-Slim-Smart) within the international Daikin group. Kaizen, combined with excellent teamwork have proved to be the key ingredients for this transformation. A people culture of “change is ... Read more
- Dekeyzer Ossaer Watch video Read more
- Dentsply Implants Dentsply Implants is one of the global top-3 companies for dental implants. In België more than 100 people develop and produce high added value carrying structures for dental prostheses. The newest 3Dprint and CAD/CAM-miling technologies are being used. DENTSPLY Implants acts as a leadplant in an international eco-system. Development and production hardware and knowledge are located ... Read more
- ED&A ED&A, a Flemish SME of the 2nd generation, started up production of electronic components only 3 years ago. Before they only focused on engineering and subcontracted production, mainly to Romania. Through the insourcing of production into Belgium, and by focusing on extreme automation, the company has been able to achieve breakthroughs on quality, flexibility and ... Read more