Belgian Factories of the Future since 2015
Breakthroughs achieved through the Made Different program
Made Different is a Belgian transformation program, initiated by Agoria and Sirris. Through 7 clearly focused transformations (world class production equipment, end-to-end engineering, digital production, human centered production, networked production, eco-production and smart production systems) around 20 FTE’s are assisting more than 275 Belgian manufacturing companies across these 7 transformations, ultimately leading to the status of Factory of the Future.
Until now, 16 Belgian companies have been awarded the Factory of the Future label. Together they invested the last 5 years more than 475M Euro within their respective factories. Through a strategic focus on investments in smart automation, digitisation and robotisation, these Factories of the Future improved their competitiveness significantly resulting in more business and an increase in employees of 11%. As a reference, the average employee evolution in Belgian’s technology sector over the last 5 years was -5%!
All Award-winners have one common message : do consider the ‘Human Centered Production’ transformation as a crucial condition to perform timely implementation of smart breakthroughs within the other 6 Made Different transformations. Self-steering cells of autonomous teams, strongly supported by flexible, custom-made ICT-solutions, organize the incoming production orders themselves, take responsibility for manpower training & skill development as well as Kaizen and 5S, thereby needing only a very limited amount of specific attention from a supervisor or manager. Connected to this, transparent communication belongs to every winner’s DNA!
A flavour of the breakthrough results achieved by the Factories of the Future :
- Bio De Trog Bio-bakery De Trog, an industrial craftmanships-bakery doubled its turnover and number of employees (110 people at the moment) during the last 5 years. Every day more than 100 types of basic, locally sourced flower ingredients are being used through smart automation, delivering more than 300 different customer product types every without jeopardizing the quality and ... Read more
- Borit Watch video Read more
- Continental Continental develops and produces in Belgium electronic brake system components for cars. As from 2013 the factory in Belgium is the only location within the global Continental group to produce the newest MK100 ESC 6 PP system, combining state-of-the-art active security systems with a high comfort level for the driver. The competitive cost advantage of the factory ... Read more
- Daikin Daikin Oostende – a developer and producer of heating solutions – has put a comprehensive Factory Reform Plan in place to turn its production into a real “3S Factory” (Simple-Slim-Smart) within the international Daikin group. Kaizen, combined with excellent teamwork have proved to be the key ingredients for this transformation. A people culture of “change is ... Read more
- Dekeyzer Ossaer Watch video Read more
- Dentsply Implants Dentsply Implants is one of the global top-3 companies for dental implants. In België more than 100 people develop and produce high added value carrying structures for dental prostheses. The newest 3Dprint and CAD/CAM-miling technologies are being used. DENTSPLY Implants acts as a leadplant in an international eco-system. Development and production hardware and knowledge are located ... Read more
- ED&A ED&A, a Flemish SME of the 2nd generation, started up production of electronic components only 3 years ago. Before they only focused on engineering and subcontracted production, mainly to Romania. Through the insourcing of production into Belgium, and by focusing on extreme automation, the company has been able to achieve breakthroughs on quality, flexibility and ... Read more
- How do you become a Factory of the Future? – Provan reveals… This company established in Genk, Belgium, currently employs 80 people and was one of the first Factory of the Future Award winners in 2015. The company has since completed a follow-up assessment and has been awarded the title for the next three years. Provan provides ‘tailor-made metal solutions’ for which they focus on total solution projects. ... Read more
- How does a company become a Factory of the Future? Use the tools developed by the Fokus project Thirty-two Belgian companies have already transformed into a Factory of the Future and have received the Award. Is your company next? Paul Peeters, Lead expert, Innovation at Agoria, offers hints and explains how a company can start the process of transforming into a Factory of the Future. Peter ten Haaf (Sirris), Fokus Project leader, provides ... Read more
- How to become a Factory of the Future – BMT Aerospace reveals… In 2016, BMT Aerospace expressed the ambition to transform into a Factory of the Future and won the Factory of the Future Award at the beginning of this year. We discuss the process so far with Henk Vincke, Supply Chain Manager and Koen Devolder, General Manager. BMT Aerospace International supplies high-tech precision components for the aviation sector. ... Read more